[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
JakeELee.com - View topic - it continues

it continues

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Killer of Giants

it continues

Postby Doobie » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:20 am

And it continues …

Okay, I’ve had Mindcrime II for a few days now. Been listening to it through headphones at work and cranked it up a couple of times on the towers at home. I’m not going to critique every song or the storyline. After a few spins, here’s my take.

The obvious: DeGarmo’s departure. Not only in the guitar playing but, the backing vocals, as well. Not that the playing is bad (in fact, most of it is very good) … DeGarmo’s sound was just very distinguishable to me. There are numerous “dueling guitar” parts as I always associate with the Ryche. There’s a lot of decent guitar solos on here, too.

Another obvious: there will never be another Mindcrime, so just get that out of your head before you spin this one. I did just that and was surprised to find that, just like the first one, the more you listen to it the more it grows on you. It caught my interest from the get-go and continues to keep it.

“Mary” talk-sings well. I don’t think she does particularly well when actually sing-singing unless she’s singing at the top-of-her-lungs. I noticed this particular flub at their last concert, too. She’s not horrid – I’m just not fond of her sound. However, there are times singing with Tate, she sounds decent.

I don’t foresee myself learning every word to every song this time. There’s a lot more of them - very wordy and lyrical. However, well done in the lyric department.

My fave segment of this CD is the stretch of songs 4, 5, & 6 – One Foot In Hell, Hostage, The Hands. All are very well written and performed.
Hostage being the standout for me – starts decent and gets harder. Sounds like old school (very early 80’s) Ryche to me. Great lyrics and overall “listenability”. I’m pretty sure this one is going to end up being my fave.
I didn’t start feeling the typical Mindcrime emotion in Tate’s voice until track 8 – Signs Say So. But, then again, the storyline doesn’t really call for it too much before then. When called for, of course, Tate delivers.
The Chase – featuring RJD as X – good fit for him musically except for the Dio/Tate combo. Didn’t care for their combined vocal sound.
If I Could Change It All – here Tate shines vocally and it’s a good fit. This one sounds very “Mindcrimish”.
An Intentional Confrontation – this is a great song which features Tate and Mary partaking in a conversation that is sung. Again, sounds very “Mindcrimish”.
Fear City Slide is decent and again has undertones of old school Ryche.
All The Promises – slow song – Tate’s vocals at their best.

Overall, I think this CD is an excellent effort for Mindcrime’s follow-up. Very well written and performed. Anyone that hates it apparently can't let go of the first one.

Oh, by the way, I picked up a second copy of the first one because I have to rummage through my daughters room and car everytime I want to hear it. This edition is remastered and has two additional live tracks tacked on at the end. The two additional tracks are just live repeats of The Mission and Empty Room. Something interesting about the booklet though ... it has the story of how Tate came up with the idea (based on some actual people) and how he struggled with his bandmates (DeGarmo finally caved - thank God!) and company execs to get it recorded.

All Access Member

Re: it continues

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:59 am

Postby Fretman » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:37 pm

Ultimate Sinner

Postby excitable87 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:58 pm

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:03 pm

Killer of Giants