George Lynch vs. Warren DeMartini !

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Who do you prefer ?

George Lynch
60%
Warren DeMartini
40%

Total votes : 35
Rock N' Roll Rebel

Re: George Lynch vs. Warren DeMartini !

Postby Nikki_Saixx » Fri May 30, 2008 11:36 am

Warren DeMartini... although he is influenced by George Lynch, I find more feeling, more "blues" in his playing, especially in late 80's and later... I haven't heard much of Lynch stuff, but everything I've heard pictured high skilled but boring to me.

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby JR97 » Fri May 30, 2008 11:51 am

Lynch rips no doubt. Monster chops. But I think his rhythm and riffs are a bit cliche compared to DeMartini. So with the score tied 1-1, I'll give the nod to DeMartini's dark feathered locks to the "dipped my head in bleach" look of Lynch to make the final score 1.5 - 1 DeMartini. :)

Having said that, I worship both of them with equal fervor.

Killer of Giants

Postby MrScary1971 » Fri May 30, 2008 9:39 pm

I am a huge Warren fan and without a doubt in the early 80's I might have given Warren the nod. However, Lynch clearly surpassed him with ULAK and BFTA. I actually prefer Warren's tone to George's with the execption of BFTA. I believe Jake gave Warren a few lessons?

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby Nikki_Saixx » Sat May 31, 2008 10:52 am

MrScary1971 wrote:I believe Jake gave Warren a few lessons?

Well, both guitarists have a little bit similar features. Also, both men have bluesy roots, I think...

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Sat May 31, 2008 2:13 pm

they were roommates back in the day :)
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Postby kissfan1 » Sat May 31, 2008 8:33 pm

MrScary1971 wrote:I am a huge Warren fan and without a doubt in the early 80's I might have given Warren the nod. However, Lynch clearly surpassed him with ULAK and BFTA. I actually prefer Warren's tone to George's with the execption of BFTA. I believe Jake gave Warren a few lessons?
what is ULAK and BFTA mean?

Killer of Giants

Postby MrScary1971 » Sat May 31, 2008 11:07 pm

kissfan1 wrote:
MrScary1971 wrote:I am a huge Warren fan and without a doubt in the early 80's I might have given Warren the nod. However, Lynch clearly surpassed him with ULAK and BFTA. I actually prefer Warren's tone to George's with the execption of BFTA. I believe Jake gave Warren a few lessons?
what is ULAK and BFTA mean?

BFTA and ULAK are abbreviations for Dokken's albums Back For The Attack and Under Lock And Key. Sorry for the confusion just quicker to abbreviate them that way.

All Access Member

Postby skrapmetal » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:19 am

I like both but if I had to pick one I'd say I like Warren DeMartini song writing better than Lynch's but Lynch is better at soloing.

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:59 pm

I'm more familiar with George Lynch music Classic's with DOKKEN & his own band but none the less I also like Warren DeMartini & his Classic's with RATT, too their both different from night to day. I admire both/so I did not vote. Peace!

Postby Wanted_Man » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:03 pm

Warren Demartini. I Find George Lynch's rythym riffs boring and one-dimensional. There is a certain frequency in his tone that I just can't stand. I guess it's in his hands, because it's always there when he plays. It's like he's trying to cram in as many notes as possible and there is too much bravado in it, over substance... like a really loud stick of old-spice deoderant. That's how I would describe his tone. It seems like he saturates his tone in effects too much as well. The only solo I've ever really liked of his was in The Hunter. In his prime, Warren Demartini had better rythym riffs and had a cooler legato style; much more fluid and better phrasing as well, even if his main focus was the song and not show-off tracks like Mr. Scary. A better, sexier sounding vibrato as well. One can really hear the blues tone in his playing. I think his solo in Body Talk is one of the most tasteful, sexiest solos I've ever heard. His playing is very good without being so obvious about it. And George's tone is in-your-face, like "Hey, look at me! I'm George Lynch!" Warren's tone on Detonator and the track Nobody Rides for Free is fucking awesome. Goerge Lynch never sounded that good to me. And Warren didn't rely on tricks or gimmicks very often, either.

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:54 pm

Well, I pretty stick with what I said in my comment-reply back in June 2nd 2008....'Wow, this is a archive Topic!! But never less I'll stick with what I said "above" I like both Classic Rock N Roller's Musicians DiMartini and Lynch but I tend to lean more toward George Lynch grooves liked him (and Jeff Pilson) a lot in DOKKEN and his own Solo Career.

Postby jerkjoker » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:46 am

Both amazing, both legendary but since I have to pick, warren hands down!

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:06 pm

YOUR up-side down Gutterflower but none the less you "always" look amazing and a very straight "direct" person. Peace.

Gutterflower wrote:As a player: George, no question...too bad he was never as hot as Warren, tho :wink:

Postby Michael 3:15 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:09 pm

Jake's better than both. He can actually play rhythm guitar too!

George's soloing is always impressive. Very expressive and innovative...his leads stick out from all other guitarists. However, his rhythm playing never really was impressive (it did improve on Lynch Mob after his Dokken days).

Warren is a slick player, but I never devoted a moment of time trying to learn his stuff.

To me, Badlands was how it should be done! Great songs, great riffs, best vocals ever...

Beats listening to Stephen Pearcy or Don "falsetto" Dokken!

George beats out Warren, but Jake E can look down the mountain with no worries!

Jake is up there with Hendrix and Page and it's a damn shame he gets tossed in with the 80's shredders with no soul!

Previous

Return to Free for all...