Power Trio's to look out for.

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

All Access Member

Power Trio's to look out for.

Postby macheted01 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:00 am

Hey All, I am into the power trio thing. Here are a couple recent projects to check out.

The Winery Dogs w/ Richie Kotzen, Billy Sheehan and Mike Portnoy This was a project that was discussed on an earlier TMS show that was supposed to involve John Sykes, which I surely would have love to of seen. John fell out for whatever reason and Richie picked the spot up. Surely to be a smoking release. Due out this Tuesday in the USA. Think it has been released elsewhere already.

The other is Pinnick, Gales, Pridgen
Which is Doug Pinnick of Kings X, Eric Gales a guy that has been through the shit, yet a stellar guitarist. He did a lot of stuff with Shrapnel Records (Mike Varrney) earlier on. More recent was a part of Experience Hendrix tour. Thomas Pridgen the Drummer from Mars Volta, which I am not to familiar with, but what a great drummer. This release is out and currently available.

This is something that I would like to see Jake do. I think I had read somewhere that Retraced was recorded in a power trio format, but that really is not the case.

Re: Power Trio's to look out for.

Postby xelatunes » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:03 am

The Winery Dogs was definitely one I was looking forward to given they're 3 of my fave musicians but I must say I ended up only digging about half of the tunes on the disc, the rest just kinda sound like "filler"... I think they'll definitely be a better live band than studio so cant wait for them to come to L.A.

Rumor has it that Sykes, Franklin & Appice are putting Blue Murder back together so thats a great power trio to look for too... 8)

All Access Member

Postby macheted01 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:13 am

I got the mp3 download this morning for Winery Dogs, as it was released today. Have not given it a thorough listen, so its hard for me to say. I did notice quite a bit of slower stuff, which is not a bad thing. I was just expecting something a little different.
That would be good to me if John and them boys broke out another Blue Murder project.

Postby xelatunes » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:17 pm

Yeah Sykes is way too good a player to not be doing anything...

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:03 pm

Yeah, the Power Trio musician aspect sounds Solid-ground, too...'it's all pretty much Solid-ground rather it be a two piece, four or six mega-kick out-energized set of musicians/band. Cool!!

Postby zohanx747 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:31 am

Have not given it a thorough listen, so its hard for me to say. I did notice quite a bit of slower stuff, which is not a bad thing. I was just expecting something a little different.

Return to Free for all...