Shadow!

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Shadow!

Postby saltpeanuts » Fri May 24, 2013 8:10 am

Hey Shadow! As you can see by my badge, or whatever, I've been here for a really long time but seldom post. I have always loved reading your posts, your unique command of the English language, and your inspiring words regarding our favorite all-time guitarist. Just curious what is your nationality and if English is your first language. If you are uncomfortable answering, just ignore this. But my post is sincere, and I have just always wondered about your background!

Me, I'm just a cleancut Southern boy, 80's drummer from bands unknown, now living and working in NYC.

Anyone else care to add their general background?

All Access Member

Re: Shadow!

Postby macheted01 » Sat May 25, 2013 6:31 am

Michigan homegrown here. Grew up on the 80's music. Playing bass and guitar in an unknown trio of classic rock and blues tunes.

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby aqharyder » Mon May 27, 2013 5:40 pm

Great idea about sharing about ourselves. Nice to get to know the people on the board. I live in Northern California, love hard rock, and of course my all-time favorite guitarist is Jake E. Lee! I've seen him twice, and of the hundreds of concerts I've been to, I have never experienced before or since the exhilaration I feel when he plays. I played guitar very little a long time ago, I have always been involved in horses, so that kept me limited in other things, but my ear buds are never far away.

macheted01, I love Michigan! My dad is from Kalamazoo, and I spent many summers there and in Gull Lake visiting family.

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:58 pm

Your right I don't like being put on the spot...'I prefer other's to be. Well, that's joke...'smile. I don't like to see anyone in a uncomfortable spot but looking over your post, I concluded it to be "sincere" not putting me under a microscrope: so I share a little bit about me. I'm a black-female American born/raised in the West Coast/San Francisco: I lov' all kinds of music from Soul/Motown, easy listerning to HEAVY Metal bands like Judas Priest and the Scorpions got hooked on 1st there hold a special place in my Heart. Also my Motown RARE EARTH whom I've been a fan since ten yrs old in 1969, also love 3 Dog Night, Earth Wind and Fire, The Carpenters, Chicago, Donna Summer and Bread to name a few Master legend bands/Music Artists. I love painting/illustrating...'and have drawn my wicked-wicked boys Jake (OZZY/BADLANDS) & Mandy (WWIII/Mandy Lion band) b/w illustration for JAKE's 'site (it was shown at one point along time ago/but now it's archive) and it should be in safe keeping w/legendary Webmaster(s) Chris & Jeff. Well, that's about it...'peace.

All Access Member

Postby macheted01 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:25 am

Agharyder, Kalamazoo, home of the Gibson guitar plant, which is still functioning under Heritage Guitars. I have been all over Michigan and there is always more to see.
Shadow, I think I have mentioned this before, but I have sat down and had dinner with Gil Bridges (Sax player) from Rare Earth on a couple different occasions. He is my ex's father in law. Cool guy. I have been to his house and seen his old school home studio.

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby saltpeanuts » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:29 am

Thanks Shadow, and all! That is quite a unique and amazing background! Thanks much for sharing it! I'm just a lil white guy from South Georgia, whom married the girl I met on the last day of high school way back in 1986. She's Japanese, and we have 2 beautiful half-Japanese daughters, and so Jake really holds a special place in my heart. I played drums in a bunch of local alternative bands and even had a sound guy from 38 Special tell me I should pursue it as a career and that he could get me some auditions for touring bands. However, I don't like the night life so much and I don't like to starve, so I took a different path in life. I have been a fan of heavy metal since seeing my brother's Black Sabbath and Rush albums in the late 70's and I continue to listen to everything in the genre! Jake is still my fav all-time guitarist!

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:58 pm

That's great you meet and even dinned with the Woodwind-man of legendary MOTOWN Rare Earth Mr. Gil Bridges. Yes, he is a pretty cool/nice and sauve Musician: got the opportunity to meet him when seeing him & Ray Monette-guitar (Ed-percussion's was ill) perform live in Chicago, Summer 1993 and the following year Summer 1994 (San Diego and Tahoe/NV) meet former-Drummer/Vocalist Pete Rivera-Hoorelbeke<>beautiful Spirit, too signed a lot of my memorabilia Rare Earth items/Classic's: he and Gil Bridges are the legendary Co-Founder's of RARE EARTH. I love, cherish them forever they hold a special place in my Heart. Also, saw them-the origional legendary Rare Earth: Pete, Gil, John, Kenny, Rod and Ed in rehearsal for a show in 1969 at the Beach near Play-land, San Francisco. My favorite member Bassist John Parrish-Persh approached & greeted us/my Mom & sis as we watched them set-up and rehearse for their Concert show. We couldn't stay 'cause as my mom thought we were too young to see the live performance. Pity, anyway at least we saw them rehearse...'it was awesome!!! I still see all their young-handsome faces setting up for that show til this day. Rest in sweet peace, John P. Persh and Ed Guzman and Mark Olsen.

macheted01 wrote:Agharyder, Kalamazoo, home of the Gibson guitar plant, which is still functioning under Heritage Guitars. I have been all over Michigan and there is always more to see.
Shadow, I think I have mentioned this before, but I have sat down and had dinner with Gil Bridges (Sax player) from Rare Earth on a couple different occasions. He is my ex's father in law. Cool guy. I have been to his house and seen his old school home studio.

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:24 pm

Same here you have a pretty "special and unique" background as well AND your a Professional Drummer at that, Wow!! I love the drums but those sticks give you splinters. smile. Legendary-Motown Drummer MR. P. R. H. formerly of RARE EARTH give me a set of his Drum-sticks: their beautiful/raw...'I pretend I can play like him (and sing). I WISH!!!!! smile. Matter of fact I wish I could jam like them but instead I have a paint-brush and my art-pens, pencils and such: God blessed me with another gift. And I do my best with it: and am inspired by such creative/energized Professional Music Artists/Bands like our da Oge, theBeast, Scorpions and Rare Earth, etc.,. AND Master Painters from long ago (like Van Gogh and William Merritt-Chase paintings...'love them) that I start to create, too. Have a great weekend, Salt-peanuts: you have a cool Avatar and name makes me think of the legendary POINTER Sisters hit Soul-Classic "Salt Peanuts." I need to find me an Avatar, too: there tricking to add onto one's Profile.

saltpeanuts wrote:Thanks Shadow, and all! That is quite a unique and amazing background! Thanks much for sharing it! I'm just a lil white guy from South Georgia, whom married the girl I met on the last day of high school way back in 1986. She's Japanese, and we have 2 beautiful half-Japanese daughters, and so Jake really holds a special place in my heart. I played drums in a bunch of local alternative bands and even had a sound guy from 38 Special tell me I should pursue it as a career and that he could get me some auditions for touring bands. However, I don't like the night life so much and I don't like to starve, so I took a different path in life. I have been a fan of heavy metal since seeing my brother's Black Sabbath and Rush albums in the late 70's and I continue to listen to everything in the genre! Jake is still my fav all-time guitarist!

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby saltpeanuts » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:29 pm

Thanks Shadow! Well, not quite a professional drummer but I did help pay my way through college! Anyhow, "Salt Peanuts" for me is from the Dizzy Gillespie song! I'm not such a fan of jazz, but I always have loved how he sang it!

Postby mattster70 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:53 am

Thanks for the background you guys! I have always enjoyed your posts, Shadow.

I have not posted here in a long time, since there has been little to no news of Jake until he resurfaced a couple of years ago.

I guess I'll play along, since some of you were nice enough to share a little of your history.

I've been playing guitar for a long long time. Jake was a HUGE influence on my playing, since I always loved his aggressive style, vibrato and chord choices. I played in the late 80's and 90's all over my home town of San Antonio and all over South Texas. I formed a band called GIVEN in 2002, recorded a CD and did that until 2006.

In 2008 I joined a band called Eden Burning and my "career" enjoyed a bit of a rebirth. We played all over the place, and even opened for many of the bands I loved starting out: Tesla, Michael Schenker, Great White, Dokken, George Lynch's Souls of We and others. Recorded a CD with them called "Banged Up and Dirty," which I also produced. I reached my goal of playing the Sunset Strip in 2010 when we played the Rainbow Bar and Grill. Funny that I achieved that after my 40th b-day!

I parted ways with EB in 2011, but "Banged Up and Dirty" is still going and has just been picked up for distribution overseas. I also played lead for them on a cover of Motley Crue's "Starry Eyes" which will appear on a Motley Tribute CD out in the next couple months.

Since then, I continue to work my "day job," but I play covers in an Acoustic Duo here in town and I am plotting once again to start a new original project. I am as excited as anyone to hear Jake's new project! I saw Badlands twice and met them as well. Eric Singer was one of the nicest people I ever met in the business. Meeting the guys was an awesome experience, and I'll never forget how I couldn't find my words when I finally met Jake! They continue to be one of my favorite bands of all time.

Return to Free for all...