[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
JakeELee.com - View topic - Amps: to Marshall or not to Marshall

Amps: to Marshall or not to Marshall

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Secret Loser

Re: Amps: to Marshall or not to Marshall

Postby Fedaykin » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:32 pm

“My parents wanted me to be the next Van Cliburn, but I wanted to be the next Van Halen.”

All Access Member

Postby tedeeoo » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:17 pm

Secret Loser

Postby Fedaykin » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:38 am

“My parents wanted me to be the next Van Cliburn, but I wanted to be the next Van Halen.”

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Allfyve » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:29 am

Secret Loser

Postby Fedaykin » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:35 pm

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Allfyve » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:24 am

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:23 am

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Allfyve » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:10 pm

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:09 am

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:58 am

Secret Loser

Postby seasons » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:04 pm

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Allfyve » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:24 am

Postby Huckleberry » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:57 am

I've been playing Dr. Z's for a few years now. I have a MAZ 18 Jr. NR & a Monza. Not exactly a Marshall sound, but a very cool classic gring from these amps.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Postby mattster70 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:37 pm

I played a '71 Marshall JMP Super Lead 100 Watt for years. It was the definitive sound for me, especially when paired with its Greenback-loaded cabs. It was loud and heavy when cranked, and cleaned up beautifully when I backed off on the guitar volume. Thin Jake's "Streets Cry Freedom" sound and that's pretty close.

I had the privilege of having an "amp guy" who understood my amp and it's eccentricities over the years, and he kept it up and running for 15 years. When he died, I guess the mojo he gave it died too. The amp went down a week after he passed, strangely enough. It took me some time to find a new "amp guy." I did, and he was good, but the amp never sounded the same.

The drawbacks of that amp were that it was LOUD, even with the master volume mod it had. It was also very typically moody. In certain weather and climate conditions, it would just sag and you would have to really fight the amp to get that attack out of it.

I purchased a Marshall Class 5 for smaller gigs, and I loved it, but after TWO shows, the tranny fell off the chasis. I took it back and saw a Blackstar HT-5, and plugged in, and I was blown away!!

I have since upgraded to the HT Club 40 - two channels 40 Watts all tube. I couldn't be happier. After over a year in service, this amp still sounds spectacular - whether cranked onstage, at practice level, or running direct into the studio board! Gig after gig, it sounds the same and is ready to go. And, I can dial in my old Marshall sound pretty damn close. The guys from Blackstar are ex-Marshall designers, so the pedigree is there. They've simply taken their Marshall knowledge and combined that with features that they feel modern players want.

I can't say enough about them, and that's coming from a guy who had a Marshall stack behind him for 20 years. Everything they've put out sounds great and is built rock solid.

Killer of Giants

Postby Rock » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:06 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Free for all...