Trying to learn Shot In The Dark - can anyone help me out?

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Trying to learn Shot In The Dark - can anyone help me out?

Postby JayMadd » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:52 am

Hi to everyone here on the Jake E Lee forum! Allow me to first introduce myself as I am new to the forum - I'm Jay, from Birmingham, England (UK) and I've been a huge fan of Jake's for a long time. I originally stumbled across this forum a few years ago but never had the courage to actually register as I felt I did not know enough about Jake or his playing style to contribute anything worthy - but hey, you only live once and Mr Lee has influenced me greatly over the years, so here I am!

I'm trying to learn how to play Shot In The Dark - so far, I've checked out numerous tabs online and most just seem extremely wrong. I've even referred to the tab that was published in The Ozzman Cometh tab book and it says the tuning is (low to high): F Bb Db Gb Bb Eb, while other rumours I have heard state that only the lowest two strings (Low E and A) are detuned... does anybody know where I can find a decent transcription or can anyone help me out with a few pointers?

I would also like to give a shout-out to RustKill (if you're still here) regarding your Badlands transcriptions on UltimateGuitar - a friend pointed me to them and said he found them here first and they were extremely accurate. He wasn't wrong - excellent work, sir!

Thanks everyone :)

Re: Trying to learn Shot In The Dark - can anyone help me ou

Postby JayMadd » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:30 pm

Okay, so I've actually figured it out - I've tried suggestions of tuning half-step down from standard tuning and then tuning up on the bottom two strings and this seems to be the correct tuning. I've contacted Red Dragon Cartel's Facebook page to ask if there's any way whoever runs the page can ask Jake to confirm this is how it was played in the studio and how it's played live, so I'll post any future updates.

Incidentally, the person or persons who run the RDC Facebook page informed me that Jake plays with his guitars tuned down by half-a-step live nowadays. Cool bit of information from the RDC camp! :)

Killer of Giants

Postby sytharnia » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:43 pm

JayMadd wrote:Okay, so I've actually figured it out - I've tried suggestions of tuning half-step down from standard tuning and then tuning up on the bottom two strings and this seems to be the correct tuning. I've contacted Red Dragon Cartel's Facebook page to ask if there's any way whoever runs the page can ask Jake to confirm this is how it was played in the studio and how it's played live, so I'll post any future updates.

Incidentally, the person or persons who run the RDC Facebook page informed me that Jake plays with his guitars tuned down by half-a-step live nowadays. Cool bit of information from the RDC camp! :)

pretty sure he has always played in Eb

Postby wagoo » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:41 am

I always find this guy's videos useful, sorry it's in Japanese.. and like 9 months late :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECQx-noQETs - Shot in the Dark playthrough
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaGdTmWbgJ4 - Shot in the Dark intro broken down

Postby tisky1968 » Fri May 27, 2016 8:09 pm

I know exactly how to play that song .... I down loaded it's f a# c#f#a#d#

Postby Agentmantis » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:25 am

Yep, the alternate tuning worked like a charm for me.

Return to All things Jake E Lee...